Increased efficiency with agricultural and consuction machinery adhesive and sealant systems
In agriculture and construction, heavy machinery is used which is required to be safe, reliable and durable with a hint of comfort. In order to meet the requirements special adhesives and sealants for agricultural machinery and construction vehilces are used instead of welded seams and conventional fasteners. Agricultural and construction machinery adhesive and sealant solutions enable safer, stronger and quieter equipment and new, improved designs. Here you can find the advantages of sealing and bonding as well as the more specific adhesive and sealant applications in construction and agricultural machinery.
Construction vehicle and agricultural machinery adhesive and sealant benefits
Not only enable adhesives and sealants for agricultural machinery and construction vehicles stronger and quieter equipment, but they come with more benefits, and provide assembly lines and finished products with multiple advantages. Agricultural and construction machinery adhesive and sealant systems are used for example in vehicles such as tractors, backhoes, skid steers and combines, cabins and engines, subcomponents such as gearboxes and transmissions as well as attachments including mowers, harrows, seed drills and balers.
The advantages provided by construction and agricultural machinery adhesive and sealant systems include the following.
- Improving design: using adhesives and sealants instead of mechanical means of sealing and bonding allows for greater design freedom as well as improved aerodynamics which contribute to lower fuel consumption.
- Optimizing assembly: adhesives and sealants are applicable in several ways meaning that it is possible to find the one that fits your assembly line the best. They are usually faster to apply than mechanical alternatives and their curing time can be reduced to minimum depending on the system.
- Cutting costs: adhesives and sealants generally reduce the production costs as they are cheaper to purchase and apply than the mechanical alternatives. They also reduce the need for expensive repairs saving the farmer money, which makes the product more attractive.
- Increasing durability: adhesives and sealants result in strong, low maintenance bonds and seals. They also reduce the risk for corrosion by forming a seam between metal surfaces.
- Reducing weight: as adhesives and sealants are remarkably lighter in weight than mechanical, usually metal, fasteners, they reduce the vehicle´s total weight, which leads to lowered fuel consumption.
- Enhancing safety: some sealing and bonding systems for agricultural vehicles and construction machinery contribute to safety by improving the vehicle’s performance in crash situations.
Different applications of adhesives and sealants for agricultural machinery
In the manufacturing of construction and agricultural vehicles, adhesives and sealants play an important role in numerous applications throughout the assembly line from exterior panels to engine components and interior trim. Contact us in case you need any assistance in choosing the right adhesives and sealants for your machinery assembly line.
Adhesives and sealants for windows
One of the oldest adhesive and sealant applications in agricultural and construction machinery are direct glazing and windscreens. The seals and bonds increase safety in crash situations, prevent galvanic corrosion and easy the production process.
The products used for sealing and bonding vehicle windows include silicones, MS polymers and polyurethanes. They exist as cold, warm and hot applied products which allow for manual and automated processes. In general the application and curing processes are fast, but they can be made even faster by choosing for super fast curing solutions which do not require a primer.
Cabin bonding and sealing
Before painting the cabins, adhesives and sealants are applied to the framework. These contribute to safety with their impact resistance, prevent corrosion of metal parts, reduce the total weight of the vehicle, damp noise and vibration and allow for desired looks as they are paintable. They also form a perfect substrate for the paint: most of the solutions are heat resistant and enable later e-coat or powder coating.
The adhesives and sealants used for cabin bonding of agricultural machinery exist as one and two component systems. Most often they are polyurethane epoxy hybrids which cure fast when heat is applied. They also allow for automated application processes and so ease the assembly. The cabin sealing and bonding solutions also exist as environmentally friendly solutions which do not contain solvents or PVC.
Trim shop adhesives and sealants
Adhesives and sealants used for the trim shop provide design freedom and possibilities for aerodynamic design. They are paintable, impact resistant and damp noise and vibration. They also allow for efficient temperature control by forming airtight seal which keep the cabin temperature as wished.
Trim shop adhesives and sealants for agricultural machinery exist as thermosetting and thermoplastic materials. They are usually one and two component polyurethanes as well as 2K acrylic solutions. The same systems can be used as construction machinery adhesive and sealant solutions.
Structural bonding for doors and closures
The doors, hood and other closures of construction and agricultural vehicles must meet the same requirements as the cabin. Therefore, adhesives and sealants are used to improve crash performance and provide strong bonds and seals. Additionally, these bonds and seals are often heat resistant to the point that the parts can be e-coated or powder coated.
Structural bonding systems for doors and closures often come as flexible 2K polyurethanes, easy-to-apply and flexible 1K polyurethanes, low preparation 2K acrylic systems and polyurethane hybrids which are strong, flexible and do not require much surface preparation.
Types of seals and bonds in agricultural and construction machinery
In agricultural machinery, many types of bonds and seals are used to improve reliability and durability of the finished products. Most of the adhesives and sealants within the industry are used for either reducing the use of welds and fasteners or protecting and securing flanged, threaded and cylindrical assemblies.
Weld and fastener reduction with agricultural and construction machinery adhesive and sealant
One of the main purposes of adhesives and sealants for agricultural machinery is to reduce the use of welds and fasteners; the same counts for construction machinery adhesive and sealant systems. Replacing mechanical seals and bonds results in lighter vehicle weight which contributes to lower fuel consumption. The reduction of metal to metal contact also reduces corrosion and so increases the overall durability and reliability of the finished products. Moreover, adhesives and sealants allow for design freedom and more appealing aesthetics as they make no holes and the result is uniform, even paintable.
One of the adhesive types that is increasing its popularity in vehicle assembly lines is methyl methacrylate, which bonds dissimilar materials and has a unique cure profile. The most innovative sealants, in turn, rely on on MS polymer technology.
Protecting and securing flanged, threaded and cylindrical assemblies
Adhesives and sealants play also a role in protecting and securing flanged, threaded and cylindrical assemblies as threadlocking, thread sealing, gasketing and retaining. This enables manufacturers to increase product reliability and reduce downtime and need for later maintenance.
- Threadlocking: anaerobic (in the absence of air) curing, thermosetting threadlocking solutions are applied to threads of fasteners preventing them from loosening.
- Thread sealing: anaerobic curing thread sealing systems fill the space between threaded parts forming an instant low pressure seal which prevents liquid and gas leakages.
- Gasketing: self-forming gaskets form the perfect seal between components providing maximum face-to-face contact and so reducing the risk for flange face corrosion.
- Retaining: anaerobic retaining compounds secure bearings, bushings and cylindrical parts making the assemblies stronger and reducing the need for maintenance and expensive repair parts.
Looking for suitable adhesives and sealants for agricultural or constrcution machinery?
The right adhesives and sealants for agricultural machinery and construction vehicles are dependent on the manufacturing process, assembly line and the desired looks and performance of the finished product. Therefore, it is not always an easy choice to make. Fortunately, our specialists are always happy to help you by assisting in the process, making product suggestions and bringing you in touch with market-leading suppliers. Simply click on the contact button below and let us know more about your sealing and bonding needs.