Adhesives and sealants for heavy duty trucks and other road transport vehicles
The use of adhesives and sealants in road transport vehicles, such as combination vehicles, is ever increasing due to the numerous advantages these solutions offer compared to their traditional sealing and bonding alternatives. Road transport adhesives and sealants are used for example in vehicles for healthcare and leisure including ambulances, caravans and campers, tractors, trucks and trailers.
Here you will find information on adhesives and sealants for road transport, their advantages and some products used for the most challenging applications.
Benefits beyond bond and seal with adhesives and sealants for road transport
In the vehicle manufacture and assembly innovative materials are used to make the vehicles more durable and the production process more efficient. Therefore, many production facilities choose for sealants and adhesives instead of more traditional options. The benefits brought along by road transport adhesives and sealants include:
- Design freedom: sealants and adhesives do not hinder the design choices, they can be applied so that they do not remain visible.
- Even stress distribution: adhesive and sealant systems are applied by spraying the surface, spreading the product or using dots and beads allowing for greater surface to bare the stress than when traditional fasteners are used.
- No damage to the material: compared to for example fasteners such as screws, these systems do not damage the materials as no holes are needed.
- Weight saving: adhesives and sealants are much lighter in weight than for instance welded bonds. This is of high importance, since the road transport industry is shifting towards lighter materials in for example truck and trailer assembly.
- Visual attraction: adhesives and sealants can contribute to the visual attributes as they are either available in different colours or can be painted over.
- Fast and easy application: the application of these systems can be fully integrated into the production process and allows for automation where suitable.
- Noise and vibration attenuation: important for the truck and trailer manufacturing, adhesives and sealants can absorb shocks and damp noise.
- Fewer corrosion problems: as no metal to metal connection is made, there is no risk for galvanic action, and so corrosion risk is reduced.
Bonding and sealing different materials in road transport
Road transport adhesives and sealants guarantee strength, durability and elasticity in a wide variety of applications ranging from ambulances and fire engines to bulldozers, buses and touring cars. Additionally, some applications for demanding environments or purposes may require other properties such as chemical resistance and high temperature resistance.
The systems for road transport include, sealants, adhesives, adhesive sealants and coatings which are used for example in the following applications:
- Bonding and sealing: the sealant, adhesives and sealant adhesives are mainly used for creating bonds and seals for windows in the road transport vehicle industry. The seals and bonds can be formed for windows made of mineral glass, polycarbonate or other plastics.
- Structural bonding: many adhesives are used for structural bonding of panels, roofing, bodywork and floor elements. The adhesive bonding systems for trucks and trailers include MMA adhesive, which has a unique cure profile and increases assembly process efficiency.
- Sealing: sealants play a crucial part in sealing welds, bodywork, chassis parts, panels and interior parts as well as roofing and flooring. Especially MS polymer systems have an impressive track record in sealing (and bonding) dissimilar materials in trucks, trailers and other road transport vehicles.
- Coating: floor elements of road transport vehicles benefit from an appropriate floor coating which can be used in combination with a suitable primer to guarantee most durable results.
Road transport adhesives and sealants for a wide range of materials
These systems are generally versatile in use, for they provide sufficient adhesion to materials such as glass fiber reinforced polyester, powder coatings, polycarbonates, PMMA, composite materials as well as glass and metal.
The road transport adhesives and sealants also work for materials which are usually difficult to seal or bond. For instance polypropylene, which has low surface tension and is therefore tricky to glue or seal. However, the use of polypropylene in vehicle industry is increasing due to its properties such as light weight. Therefore, special products are required.
In case you have an application involving bonding or sealing polypropylene or other challenging material, do not hesitate to contact us for consultation and suitable products.
Certification of adhesives and sealants for road transport
As road transport includes several types of vehicles that are meant for specific environments and purposes, the product certification and standardization hold a paramount position when selecting adhesives and sealants. Below you can find some relevant certificates for adhesives and sealants for road transport.
- WheelMark indicates durability in harsh environments. Some adhesive and sealant products for road transport can be certified according to the Maritime Equipment Directive set by the EU, due to the fact that similar or the same products are durable enough to be used in ship building and repair, as well.
- ISEGA assures that products are safe to be used in the preparation, processing, treatment, packing, transport and distribution of food. These products must have the lowest risk of contamination, and other hazards. Therefore, the ISEGA certification, together with HACCP, is crucial especially for sealing and bonding products used in vehicles that transport food.
- DNV GL provides functional safety for road transport. DNV GL is a certification body that assesses, among others, products for road transport according to several European and international standards. For road transport these include reliability, availability, maintainability and safety, software and system safety. DNV GL certified sealants and adhesives are up to standards.
- FMVSS 212 stands for Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard: windshield mounting assesses the strength and durability of windshield (and window) mounting in crash situation. As the windshields and windows in road transport vehicles are often glued and sealed using sealants and adhesives, their behavior in such situations is tested.
Note that similar certificates are also relevant for railway vehicles due to their similar tasks and operating environments.
Expert consultancy for road transport sealing and bonding
Looking for a suitable sealant or adhesive for your road transport vehicles? You have come to the right place: contact us for information on systems or training, consultancy on the right product or requesting a quote for a specific adhesive or sealant system. Our specialists are happy to share their experience and expertise in order to guarantee success for your project.