Flawless tiling with natural stone tile adhesive
Natural stone tiles are extremely attractive and create a special atmosphere, however, they are not the easiest to work with. The most important factor to consider is the natural stone tile adhesive which initially determines the success of the tiling work.
Not only does the right tile adhesive guarantee great end result but also faster and easier application. When you choose for the most suitable natural stone tile adhesive for your project, you know what to expect from the result and your process gets topped up with some speed and efficiency!
Consider the needs of natural stone when choosing a tile adhesive
When tiling with natural stone, there are a couple of factors that must be taken into account in order to achieve the best end result. Natural stone is not simply one type of tile, but the term covers all natural stone tiles ranging from limestone to marble and granite. The natural stone tiles differ from each other in the following ways:
- Porosity: for example limestone and sandstone are very poros by nature requiring an adhesive which does not get absorbed into to the tile. On the other hand, marble and granite are very dense by structure and therefore, a greater range of adhesives is available for them.
- Movement: temperature extremes and fluctuation affect the types of natural stone tiles differently. The behavior of the tiles is also different whether they are part of an interior or exterior.
- Color: the tiles also vary by color: some are lighter than others and for instance limestone and marble can even have a translucent look to them. Therefore, as a rule of thumb, never apply grey natural stone tile adhesive to light colored tiles. Nor should you use spot fixing as the adhesive may form shadows and color changes on the tile, not to mention that spot fixing can lead to cracks and breakages as the load is not equally distributed.
Not only is is important to consider the needs of the specific type of tile, but also those of the substrate the tiles are going to be laid on.
The most common types of natural stone tile adhesive
There are several types of natural stone tile adhesives which all cns result to a faster and easier process as well as a stunning end result. The most common types of tile adhesive for natural stone include the following:
- High strength construction epoxy: epoxy is one of the strongest and most durable adhesives of all times. Therefore, in the right formulation, it is also suitable for natural stone tiling. Most of the epoxy tile adhesives are flexible, which means the finished tiling is less likely to be affected by temperature extremes and fluctuation.
- Cement-based adhesives: cement-based adhesives or mortar exists as thin-set and thick-bed products. These are suitable for most types of natural stone tiles as long as they are not absorbent. Generally mortar is available in white and grey colors.
- Custom-made polymerized adhesives: when it comes to polymer adhesives, a lot is possible. Also for natural stone tiles, there are multiple flexible polymerized adhesives available which can be tailored to fit the purpose perfectly. For more information on what is possible with these adhesives, do not hesitate to contact us!
The right adhesive for natural stone tiling on floors and walls
The most common applications of natural stone tiles are interior and exterior walls and floors. When laying floor or wall tiles made of natural stone outside, it is important to consider the ideal application conditions: not too cold and not too humid. Most adhesives require a certain ambient temperature and humidity percentage to be able to harden. Interior tiling has more adhesive options as the temperature and humidity are not likely to exceed recommended values.
Regarding the adhesive, it matters whether the tiles are laid on walls or floors as they require either vertical or horizontal bonding. For floors, it is crucial to consider the air need of the adhesive. As there is not much air under floor tiles, the adhesive should be able to cure through other means to guarantee shorter curing times. For walls, in turn, it is important that the adhesive is strong enough to hold the weight of the tile on a vertical surface. Also the weight of the tile should be considered.
Find the perfect adhesive for natural stone tiles
As there are many types of natural stone tiles and possible adhesives to realize the tiling with, it is not always an easy job to pick an adhesive. New technologies and chemistries allow for smart adhesives which speed up the process and result in beautiful tiling. However, sometimes a more traditional adhesive does the job best. In case you are curious for the option or are looking for a trusted natural stone tile adhesive hit the button below and contact us!