Parking garage sealant increases durability
Parking lots and garages are usually concrete constructions which floors consist of concrete fields. The concrete field joints require a special parking garage sealant to increase the durability of the garage.
Parking garages are subject to occasional fuel and other chemical spills, heavy mechanical loads and traffic. Therefore, the parking lot sealant must be one that does not deteriorate as an effect of the aforementioned factors.
Parking lot sealant for new concrete and concrete repairs
Parking garage sealants are products that can be used for sealing joints in new concrete structures as well as for repairs of damaged and cracked concrete or asphalt. Both types of parking lot sealants should have at least the following properties.
- Chemical resistance: the sealant must not be affected by fuels and oil or occasional spills of other chemicals, but retain its strength and sealing properties even when some it becomes subject to coolant fluids, road salt or fuel spills.
- Heavy load bearing capacity: the sealant is not to be affected by the weight of cars that are parked in the garage. Note that a stronger sealant may be needed if buses, trucks and other heavy vehicles have access to the parking lot.
- Abrasion resistance: also abrasion resistance is of high importance as the concrete and the sealant are subject to almost continuous traffic caused by cars and other vehicles driving in and out the garage or parking lot.
3 types of parking garage sealants
Due to the different requirements a parking garage or parking lot may have, there are several types of sealants that are suitable. Here we will introduce three of the most common parking garage sealant systems.
- Polysulfide garage sealants: tough sealants with extremely high resistance to chemicals, especially fuels and motor oil.
- Epoxy polysulfide sealants: extremely chemical resistant thanks to its polysulfide content. The epoxy makes the sealant even stronger and tougher.
- Modified silane polymer sealants: chemical resistant like conventional silicone sealant systems with additional abrasion and mechanical stress resistance.
Tip: where fast repairs are necessary, consider special products designed for speedy concrete repairs.
Factors that affect the choice of parking lot sealant
The choice of parking garage sealant not only is based on the product type and its physical properties but also on other, practical factors such as the following.
- Application method and time: whether the sealant is applied to new concrete or as a means of repair, it is good to consider the time it takes and the method through which it is applied. Complex application methods and long application time usually means more downtime.
- Curing time: especially for concrete repairs, it might be beneficial to apply and cure the parking lot sealant as fast as possible to open the area for traffic right after application.
- Need for maintenance: for new concrete, one should opt for a product that lasts long without maintenance. Even though the curing application and curing times of these products may be slightly longer, the garage or parking lot in not likely to go through downtime any time soon after construction.
Find the right parking lot sealant
Are you looking for the perfect parking garage sealant for your project? Our experts are happy to provide you with assistance in choosing the best possible system, and suggesting solutions. For more information, do not hesitate to contact us!